Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Anything about the Fowl books.
Iris
Dwarf Thief

Re: Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Post by Iris » Sun 10th May 2020

I'm currently trying to catch up on book 1 too. Reading the intro to the Book, the real penalty for breaking the rules in the book is a loss of magic. Nausea is just a warning sign. So it makes sense humans aren't bound by the rules of the book, because they don't have magic. And honestly, magic and mesmer are such a powerful things, adding rules makes sense. I think it levels the playing field, rather than making the People powerless to fight back.
As for how it works for Artemis, I can't recall enough of the later books to decide. I wonder if he has to do a Ritual to regain magic or if it would just run out at some point...
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Mon 11th May 2020

Battery wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sat 9th May 2020
Anyone else get the impression Holly has been using Artemis as the Carole Baskins equivalent for all the Lower Element’s issues in recent times?
If I'm interpreting that reference right (having not seen a second of the show :lol:) I did get the impression that she's attributed quite a few things to Artemis in the past year or so. I'd like to know what some of the other things have been XD

I low-key love the idea his name has just became a swearword for her, easily blames him for anything from traffics delays to the store being out of milk.
(And don't worry, you didn't miss much. xD )
Battery wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
Chapter 1
  • Artemis running away from his problems set up as a theme to watch for the book
Well dang, another good catch!
Makes me think of the FEAR acronym quote: Fear stands for Forget everything and run....but it's also used to say, Face everything and Repent. Good hint to what's coming eventually.
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
Battery wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
Chapter 2
  • It'd be interesting to see what Foaly was like early in his career, before all those discoveries that made him "less respectful and more annoying"
  • I want to know more about fairies and designer shirts. Are they children's sizes? Are baggy shirts in fashion in the LEP? Is it not painfully obvious you've committed a crime if you're wearing a human shirt?
  • So the mesmer can't be used against other fairies. If humans can use the mesmer, can they only use it on other humans, or does that rule not apply?
The mesmer stuff is interesting. This is how I interpret it:
Humans are not bound by the rules of the book, so humans that can use the mesmer can use it on anyone they like since they aren't governed the same way that fairies are. Prime example, the LEP retrieval team tried to break a rule from The Book by entering Arty's house without an invite. But humans can enter each other's houses even with express forbidding. And humans have been entering space belonging to The People for aeons, so it seems human's don't have rules. Maybe that's why we are so dangerous and why The People are powerless to fight back.
What is interesting is that Arty gets Holly's magic, later on, he has fairy magic from a fairy. So perhaps he is somewhat bound by some parts of The Book. He is still mostly human so he doesn't have to take orders and can enter where he likes. I don't remember much of TAC, but Arty does use the mesmer. I imagine it would be absolutely fine for him to use it on another human, but does he get queasy at doing it to another fairy?

I vaguely recall in TTP Artemis reports feeling queasy entering dwellings he had not expressly been invited into, but a motion sickness tablet cured it....and eventually in TTP the whole dwelling thing is removed anyway...
Not sure about the Mesmer.
From the sounds of it, he was able to Mesmer his parents with no issue and that really was his only foray with mesmerizing anything before using all his magic in the healing attempt.
Interestingly, in TLC, the main big bad demon dude...Abbot?...was using the Mesmer on his fellow demon dudes with zero impunity. Though I think TLC also says the demons weren't big on following the rules....implying they're not bound by them? Possibly because they technically aren't from this earth?
....soz. Tangent.
BLoemetje wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
I'm currently trying to catch up on book 1 too. Reading the intro to the Book, the real penalty for breaking the rules in the book is a loss of magic. Nausea is just a warning sign. So it makes sense humans aren't bound by the rules of the book, because they don't have magic. And honestly, magic and mesmer are such a powerful things, adding rules makes sense. I think it levels the playing field, rather than making the People powerless to fight back.
As for how it works for Artemis, I can't recall enough of the later books to decide. I wonder if he has to do a Ritual to regain magic or if it would just run out at some point...
That's been my eternal question! Once he's out of magic, is that it or can he replenish with a Ritual? Discussion for later I guess...
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sat 16th May 2020

Happy Saturday ^_^ Here's what I wrote down for this week's chunk :)

Chapter 3
  • Butler sees Artemis as a little brother. How old is he? The internet says 40s? That's interesting.
  • Whether or not he respects the man himself, Artemis respects Butler's experience. I wonder if part of him sees Butler the way we used to as kids, just this powerhouse who obviously must know what he's doing all the time
  • Butler's description of Artemis as the loneliest boy he's ever met :(
  • Artemis is okay with admitting his doubts over the kidnapping now. Because he thinks he's smarter now? Not sure he'd be as quick to admit that about a current plan
Chapter 4
  • Root seems weirdly okay with working with Artemis
  • Holly has seen Artemis make two major deals with fairies now, and each of them has been to help one of his parents. She's seen the worst of him, but she's also seen the best.
  • Thinking about it, do Butler and Juliet know what happened with Angeline? It seems like Butler at least would suspect, given the timing and the absence of half the gold. But it's interesting to think that Holly might be the only person who is aware of both of those deals firsthand.
ImageImageImage

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sat 16th May 2020

A sizzling Saturday!

Definitely better thoughts than mine xD

Chapter 3: Going Underground
  • Images of Butler stalking around the school to watch out for Artemis are
    amusing.
  • Butler, one of the top tier bodyguard of bodyguards, Butler, who has years of military training and field work…he gets caught by the gardener?
  • It’s interesting that Po’s thoughts stick with Artemis. One point brought up last week was that Artemis truly does / would benefit from therapy (hey, who wouldn’t?). Judging from how Po’s comments haunt him, Artemis subconsciously agrees as well.
  • Also *laughs in 2020 Android/iPhone capability* Although my nitpicky self does have to point out….this book is set three after the bulk of TTP…where we see Young Artemis has a phone capable of Bluetooth connections, streaming television, and has an X-Ray scanner built into it. What, did Artemis decide to go retro with a Nokia?
  • Seems unlikely Artemis would have the superior accent as Butler would have had more experience with it. But that’s a nitpick. Younger minds are more open to language and learning in general, so I suppose it evens out.
  • Doesn’t seem wise for Holly to mention she’s bringing humans down. Unless she’s hoping that will instigate a riot and get them killed in the process.
    Holly sent the co-ordinates to the flight computer and let the wings do the steering for her. The countryside sped by below. Even since her last visit, the Mud People infestation seemed to have taken a stronger hold. There was barely an acre of land without dozens of their dwellings digging into its soil, and barely a mile of river without one of their factories pouring its poison into the waters.
    I’m with Holly on this one. Freakin’ developers, man.
  • Butler is shrouded in so much mystery even the People don’t know anything about him in their file.
  • Holly logic: Decides it’s not smart/safe to abduct Artemis from his house….abducts him from his front lawn. :lol:
  • Butler suggests taking along the Neutrinos. Does this imply he's been practicing with them? Or cooking with them? I seem to recall a later book that cites him as using a katana to chop vegetables.
  • Couldn’t Holly have used her mesmer to find out then and there if Artemis was the one trading with the People? Or at least had an idea of who was behind it? Save the taxpayers’ money from hauling these mud men back and forth like this?
    To be fair, even if he had been trading, Artemis would have likely obfuscated his answer. “Are you trading with fairies?” “To ask if I’m trading with fairies is a rather broad question, Captain. We are trading words now, so it certainly could be answered in an affirmative.”
Chapter 4: Fowl is Fair
  • The comment about Root’s cousins being in Wizard of Oz is rather interesting. On the surface level, it’s more or less a simple throwaway line. But it implies there are fairies on the surface who are employed with humans. Is this legal in the fairy world? Did these guys decide to revoke their Book and magic in favor of going topside? To divert a smidge, in the wizarding world of one Harry Potter, they do briefly touch on what happens to Squibs and those banned from magic – either a Hagrid-groundskeeper/Argus Filch-caretaker type gig or in book five it was mentioned about working in the muggle world.
  • Now, I’ve kiiinda been picking on a Holly a bit, so here I am glad to come onto her side. Definitely doesn’t seem like anything could go wrong, working with someone that has hoodwinked and blackmailed you previously. Totally don’t see anything that could go wrong.
Overall thoughts: We’ve reach the precipice of a turning point. There’s a lot of trust going on around here, vastly unwarranted. Between the fairies and the humans.
The fairies “need” Artemis to find their dealer and he needs their help for any hope of saving his father.
How do the fairies know Artemis actually isn’t involved or won’t involve himself in the goblin revolution? How does Artemis know the fairies will stand by their deal to help him?
Honor and trust are earned through time and acts of good form.

Sidebar:

Two or three times a book it seems we have a scene where Holly or someone takes off their helmet and laments on how the fresh air tastes, etc.
With the world in its current state, quarantine and masks for all…I kinda get it. You walk out of the store, go back to your car/bus/UFO/home, take off your mask and take a deep, unfiltered breath. The air hits a tad cooler, softer.

~~
Battery wrote:
Sat 16th May 2020

Chapter 3
  • Butler sees Artemis as a little brother. How old is he? The internet says 40s? That's interesting.
  • Whether or not he respects the man himself, Artemis respects Butler's experience. I wonder if part of him sees Butler the way we used to as kids, just this powerhouse who obviously must know what he's doing all the time
Good question. I suppose it's probably a mixture - like how in book 1 he says he's young enough to believe in fairies, but wise enough to know how to exploit them.
This prompts me, what are Butler's limits? I have no doubt he would do whatever it took to keep Artemis and the Fowl's safe; his troll bit should be all evidence needed.
I wonder when Butler realized he was in for more than an average kid. Or has his years of training and operations simply ingrained him to accept any oddity?

• Artemis is okay with admitting his doubts over the kidnapping now. Because he thinks he's smarter now? Not sure he'd be as quick to admit that about a current plan
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But is it hindsight or just telling Holly what she wants to hear? He even admits he's unwilling to return the gold.

Chapter 4
  • Root seems weirdly okay with working with Artemis
  • Holly has seen Artemis make two major deals with fairies now, and each of them has been to help one of his parents. She's seen the worst of him, but she's also seen the best.
  • Thinking about it, do Butler and Juliet know what happened with Angeline? It seems like Butler at least would suspect, given the timing and the absence of half the gold. But it's interesting to think that Holly might be the only person who is aware of both of those deals firsthand.
Seriously, good catch!!! Seen experienced the worst, but has also seen him trying to do better.
Butler definitely suspects.
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sat 16th May 2020

Battery wrote:
Sat 16th May 2020

Chapter 3
  • Butler's description of Artemis as the loneliest boy he's ever met :(
You would not believe how similar your notes are for chapter 3 to mine! Great minds :D

Chapter 3:
  • Butler thinks of Arty like family and admits he's emotionally involved. I'm emotional! You would get attached to someone if you watched them grow up!
  • I love how Arty recognises Bulter has more experience than him and willingly listens.
  • The way that Holly speaks to commandant Terryl reminds me so much of Root
  • The fact that Bulter does everything before Arty thinks of it shows how clever he is in his own right
  • Surely if you want to stay undercover, posing as a famous chess player who even has a move named after him isn't the best choice?
  • It's funny that holly recognises that sexism is alive and well in the LEP and then only refers to Lili as a bimbo and judges her based on looks. Empowered women empower women holly, remember that.
  • Bulter is so strong that he can even fight the mesmer, almost

Chapter 4:
  • Foaly detailing the exact plot for later in a few simple lines, it seems that Colfer likes doing that
  • I forgot that Arty is still in his school uniform. The picture in my head is now brilliant
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sat 16th May 2020

^Very detailed thoughts. I agree with pretty much all of it.

Aaaah, this is where you truly feel the book was published in 2002. Even our tech genius Artemis can't access a MPG video file on his mobile phone. And they speak of a 'folded computer' instead of a laptop.

Despite everything in chapter one, Artemis definitely behaves like someone who respects Butler. At least in specific matters, he recognize that Butler has knowledge and ideas he doesn't have himself.

Foaly's recorded voice is very accurate. "Recon jock".

Some nice foreshadowing when it comes to Koboi.
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sat 23rd May 2020

*general wave*

Is it just me or did this week come by fast?
Any who, hah, and way, here are my notes:

Chapter 5: Daddy's Girl

Z E R O S U B T L Y.

We’ve been getting teases of Opal Koboi right along, but going in, we’re bluntly told she’s the villain straight off the bat, before she’s even had a proper scene. Because of that, we are not allowed to form our own opinion of her – at least not without the villain factor.
But Artemis is a villain too, you say. True. We see, however, he is not fully evil, he has a conscious and has doubts about his schemes.

Alright, I take it back. Go Opal. Break that glass ceiling girl!

Between Opal, Cudgeon, Foaly, and Artemis, we have a lot of self-serving characters, equally arrogant in believing they are the best in their trade. And in the case of some (Opal, Briar), they believe they have the upper hand against the other and will turn on the other at the first chance.

I said before you can’t get a fair judgment on Opal, but that’s not entirely true. In fact, I’m actually reminded a lot of Holly: Both are talented in their own right but overlooked because of their gender and, in turn, resentful to varying degrees.
From this, Holly becomes slightly punchy and Opal bankrupts her family and declares war on her subterranean species.

Seems like surprisingly loose regulations to allow Holly to just up and fly the goblin slammer. Did anyone inspect it beforehand or are we just assuming it won’t just spontaneously fall apart?
Also, Opal Koboi, who we just established has rivers of gold, can’t afford to cobble together a decent shuttle? Might be too suspicious I suppose.

Chapter 6: Photo Opportunity

I've said it once, I'll say it a million more times, I would read the heck out of a young Butler series, following his various adventures across the continents, working both sides of the law.

Okay, so in last week's reading, I mentioned the fairies "need" Artemis and he needs them.
Notice the different emphasis?

The fairies did all the leg work on tracking down Luc so what exactly did they need Artemis and Butler for? Recon? Isn't that what Holly is supposed to be for?
My take is that Butler and Artemis are just chum thrown into the water to see what'll emerge.
Image Image ImageImage
네이트

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sat 23rd May 2020

artymon I\/ wrote:
Sat 23rd May 2020
Between Opal, Cudgeon, Foaly, and Artemis, we have a lot of self-serving characters, equally arrogant in believing they are the best in their trade. And in the case of some (Opal, Briar), they believe they have the upper hand against the other and will turn on the other at the first chance.
That's an interesting contrast to draw. For all that he prides himself on being a criminal, Artemis has (so far) kept to every deal he's made. He's been a little bit of a weasel about the details, but he's kept to the letter of his promises.
I said before you can’t get a fair judgment on Opal, but that’s not entirely true. In fact, I’m actually reminded a lot of Holly: Both are talented in their own right but overlooked because of their gender and, in turn, resentful to varying degrees.
From this, Holly becomes slightly punchy and Opal bankrupts her family and declares war on her subterranean species.
True! Opal is a really interesting foil for Holly. I usually find myself comparing her to Artemis or Foaly, but that's definitely another solid parallel. I wonder if part of their reactions have anything to do with the amount of support they got; Holly has Root, who's in her corner even when he's being hard on her, but we don't really see a figure like that for Opal. And now she's hanging around with Cudgeon, who is narratively just about the polar opposite of Root.
I've said it once, I'll say it a million more times, I would read the heck out of a young Butler series, following his various adventures across the continents, working both sides of the law.
Same!! The only note I took on chapter 7 was that I keep being surprised by how much I like Butler this time through. The bit where he's trying to look innocent as they talk about his past escapades was great.

As for the notes I took that weren't that,

Chapter 5
  • Cudgeon can't stop mirroring Artemis's arc. The same event that got Angeline's sanity back lost him his.
Chapter 6
  • The first half of this chapter reads like an excuse for Eoin Colfer to call his Paris trip "research" :lol:
  • Artemis telling Butler to get out now vs Holly keeping calm and tactical - definitely starting to show that Artemis has his weak points
  • A question for the Europeans! What are the measurements for Butler's Safetynet in your copies? My edition kept mentioning a six-foot radius, which it implied wasn't big enough for Butler, but that doesn't seem right at all. Did he just confuse radius and diameter, or was that maybe an error in conversion?
    ImageImageImage

Iris
    Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sat 23rd May 2020

artymon I\/ wrote:
    Sat 23rd May 2020
    Between Opal, Cudgeon, Foaly, and Artemis, we have a lot of self-serving characters, equally arrogant in believing they are the best in their trade.
    Very true. But I like it that way. It reminds me of something written about J.K. Rowling and Ron Weasley -> https://emmagrant01.tumblr.com/post/460 ... hats-great
    Really any book or show becomes better if it doesn't treat everything as black and white, but instead trusts that the audience will be able to grasp more complex things. I think that is one of the main fears for the movie, that they'll simplify it too much. The book does that a little bit too, as it is a children's book. The Russians, Cudeon and Opal are clearly portrayed as the villains. But at least the good guys have their flaws and moments for growth.
    Battery wrote:
    Sat 23rd May 2020
    Cudgeon can't stop mirroring Artemis's arc. The same event that got Angeline's sanity back lost him his.
    And ironically, he pushes the same fate on the Frenchmen he repeatedly mesmerized. He's very gleeful about that, however. You'd think he might have some sympathies as he suffers the same, but I don't think he realizes the parallel.
    Battery wrote:
    Sat 23rd May 2020
    A question for the Europeans! What are the measurements for Butler's Safetynet in your copies? My edition kept mentioning a six-foot radius, which it implied wasn't big enough for Butler, but that doesn't seem right at all. Did he just confuse radius and diameter, or was that maybe an error in conversion?
    I'm reading online in an American copy, so, unfortunately, I can't comment on this. But it does seem that there was a mistake, as it doesn't seem right.

Also, as a final note that I hadn't seen before, I remember Root as a very fair, honorable and tough man. Which he is, going on the mission personally rather than sending his men. But apparently he's perfectly willing to abuse his power for a more luxurious ride.
    Image Image

artymon I\/
    LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 24th May 2020

*glances left and right* So....uh....I may or may not have a version that....

In regards to the Safetynet thing, the version I'm reading mentions something about a 2 meter radius/diameter.

Holly says it generates a two meter diameter and Butler comments about a one meter radius.
    Full disclosure, I am reading from a version I retrieved online, so I can't be sure how legit that is.

They say it's not big enough, and the way I take that is that Butler is simply taller than 6 feet / 2 meters and also has a muscular/bulkier frame than the average fairy - who you figure would be at least half Butler's size.
    Image Image ImageImage
    네이트

Battery
    Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 24th May 2020

^ I looked back at it after you said Holly mentioned diameter, and it does look like it's just an error in my edition. Holly does mention a six foot diameter, which makes sense - but then every time afterwards it's referred to as a six foot radius x) Glad to hear it makes sense in other versions, thought it might be something like that!
    BLoemetje wrote:Really any book or show becomes better if it doesn't treat everything as black and white, but instead trusts that the audience will be able to grasp more complex things. I think that is one of the main fears for the movie, that they'll simplify it too much. The book does that a little bit too, as it is a children's book. The Russians, Cudeon and Opal are clearly portrayed as the villains. But at least the good guys have their flaws and moments for growth.
    Very true, and it does look like that might be happening with the movie. Artemis being described as fun-loving in the casting call wasn't a good sign, I think. And that's true about the good guys developing and having flaws - at this point, it's not even super clear whether Artemis is one of the good guys, and that is definitely a strength of the series

How is everybody hanging in there, ready to move on to chapter 8 this week? Or would anybody like to slow down a little? :)
    ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Mon 25th May 2020

I'm a day late but here are my thoughts on everything so far:

Chapter 5
    • I love the way that Colfer just up and says that Koboi is behind it and doesn't try to make it a big plot twist reveal
    • Mention of the fact that there is no longer a monarchy. Is there a president? Are there fairy elections?
    • I want a hoverchair. I imagine it is like a more stable hammock, it must be relaxing.
    • Cudgeon straight-up doing drugs. This is a kids book :lol:
    • My initial reflections on Koboi is that she isn't as mad as I remember her. She's the only female in a male-dominated space, in reality, she has a lot in common with Holly. And ditching family members who don't want the best for you isn't a cruel move imo, it's self-preservation. A skill she shows again when she backs down to Cudgeon using violence against her, she knows how to pick her moments.
    • Koboi's confidence is well-rooted, she IS the best at what she does and she earned that title.
    Chapter 6
    • Holly specifically stating that she grew up without a father just like Koboi did essentially. More things they have in common.
    • I wonder why Luc Carrere was in Foaly's database at all?
    • Holly playfully punching Butler, they so obviously have respect for each other as soldiers, especially after seeing the skills of each other, it's sweet
    Chapter 7
    • Root making a puberty joke and Foaly deliberately winding up Butler. A+ content :D
    • Holly very quickly going from "We are not helping this guy" to "Of course I'm coming"
    • Cudgeon going against the book and using hints of the mesmer on other fairies. Yikes.
    • Butler stocking up on so much weaponry that it would weigh HIM down without a moon belt is an amazing image in my head.
    • Holly making a subtle point that while the book may contain a lot of the fairy rules it doesn't tell you anything about who the people ARE.
    In my book, the measurements are in metres and it works out perfectly: 1-metre radius and then they mention a 2-metre total diameter.

I'm also just gonna put this here so that we have a track on every page of what the plan is :)
    Cabaline wrote:
    Sun 3rd May 2020
    For anyone wondering about the schedule, this is what we have worked out, obviously, things can be flexible if needed to be :D

Week 1 (4/5) - Prologue, Ch 1 & 2 (35 pages)
    Week 2 (11/5) - Ch 3 & 4 (29 pages)
    Week 3 (18/5) - Ch 5, 6 & 7 (38 pages)
    Week 4 (25/5) - Ch 8 (26 pages)
    Week 5 (1/6) - Ch 9 & 10 (37 pages)
    Week 6 (8/6) - Ch 11 & 12 (41 pages)
    Week 7 (15/6) - Ch 13 (35 pages)
    Week 8 (22/6) - Ch 14 & Epilogue (19 pages)

Enjoy reading everyone <3
    Image Image

Battery
    Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sat 30th May 2020

Happy Saturday!!

I mentioned the other day that I have trouble getting through the weekly chunk in one sitting, but a third of the way through this chapter, I realized which one it was and then absolutely could not put it down - this used to be one of my favorite chapters in the entire series, and it was super fun to read back again ^_^

Nothing too analytical from me this time around, just went along for the ride ^_^
    • Bossing around his kidnappers is quite a character introduction for Artemis Sr.
    • The order to kill both Artemises (Artemi?) so that no one will be left to start a vendetta makes me want an alternate version of the series featuring action heroine Angeline Fowl on a revenge quest
    • The "I made a mistake" exchange is still one of my favorite bits so far, all these years later.
    • We get to see a lot of Holly being tactical and cool under pressure in this book. I love that she Captain Kirked her way through the simulation x)
    • You can guess how I accidentally read Aymon seeing it out of the corner of my eye
    • I have always loved the train scene, and I continue to love the train scene. Artemis out of his comfort zone, Holly relying on Artemis, both of them working together for the first time and doing it well considering the circumstances
    • I forgot about Holly losing her finger!! How did I forget about Holly losing her finger?!
    ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sat 30th May 2020

Hello! :D
    Battery wrote:
    Sat 30th May 2020
    I mentioned the other day that I have trouble getting through the weekly chunk in one sitting, but a third of the way through this chapter, I realized which one it was and then absolutely could not put it down - this used to be one of my favorite chapters in the entire series, and it was super fun to read back again ^_^
    Same! I got excited as soon as I realised that it was the train chapter :D I had a blast reading it so mine isn't too overly analytical either:

Chapter 8:
    • Arty Sr knowing his worth and refusing to settle for less :lol:
    • I would kill to see Root dressed up as a human in a million layers and a fluffy hat
    • Arty admitting he made a mistake, something we saw a hint of earlier
    • Holly doing the right thing that you can only do with experience: deciding not to be reactionary and reserve judgement
    • Butler respecting the chain of command and deferring to Root even though they are following Arty's plan
    • Root and Holly just let Arty toss his gun, that is fairy tech that could be discovered. Yes Foaly says that his tech has an auto-destruct that you can enable BUT this tech might be Koboi tech. And Foaly can't destruct something if he never knows its missing in the first place. Plus with everything sabotaged by Koboi so that it doesn't work, the auto-destruct might not work either. I know it's the middle of Russia and it might not get found, but the fairies are super careful with all their stuff
    • The noise was blurring his vision. I feel that.
    • How did I forget that not all of Holly made it to the train!!
    • Two fairy corpses to add to the fairy gun! The polar ice caps are decimated now not even 20 years later eeep.
    Battery wrote:
    Sat 30th May 2020
    • I forgot about Holly losing her finger!! How did I forget about Holly losing her finger?!
    As you can see, I somehow managed to forget as well! I remembered that there was something to do with a train, and that Holly needs her emergency acorn, but for the life of me I couldn't remember why! :lol:
    Image Image

Iris
    Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sat 30th May 2020

Cabaline wrote:
    Sat 30th May 2020
    Hello! :D
    Battery wrote:
    Sat 30th May 2020
    Same! I got excited as soon as I realised that it was the train chapter :D I had a blast reading it so mine isn't too overly analytical either:
    I had to laugh as soon as I read your comments because this is what I wrote in my notes:
    • I've been really looking forward to this part. I didn't remember the details, but I remember Holly getting injuring and it being very suspenseful. And even though I knew it'd end up alright, it still was very suspenseful. I'll admit I read the first half of chapter 9 too just so it wouldn't end with a cliffhanger.
    Clearly, we all feel the same xD It's a great chapter.

On to the rest of my notes:
    • Was it really not possible to ask a ransom while he was an in a coma? Surely there'd have been ways to prove he was still alive. Looking after someone in a coma is a lot of work.
    • Considering how much Holly improvises and how good she is at it, the promise of improvisation is no cause for shivering.
    • Again, signs that Artemis is really a good person. But like Holly, as a reader you're not sure at this point if it's true.
    • "His soldier's sense was beating a tattoo on the inside of his skull". What a brilliant sentence.
    • And right here is the proof that she really is very good at improvisation. And clever, as long as there's enough stress, apparently.
    • Of course, promising to buy a ridiculous home gymnasium isn't the same as promising to use it. We're on to you, Artemis.
    • The goblins are smarter than Foaly made them out to be.
    Image Image