Here are the basic rules:
- Please keep all material on this forum to a maximum of a T/PG-13/12A rating, with pieces that are above G/PG relegated to the new subforum (see below). For now, the Roleplay board will be held to the same guidelines as the main writing forum.
- Please only post your own work. Roasts and parodies are okay, so long as they do not include lengthy sections of the original text.
- We ask that you do not include other users in your stories without their explicit permission. We don't want anyone accidentally (or on purpose) getting their feelings hurt by a story
- Please keep roleplaying to the designated subforum, and feel free to use our general roleplay thread as though it were the RP shoutbox
Moving forward, works with a rating of T/PG-13/12A should be posted in the new subforum, and works with ratings any higher than that should be posted somewhere other than FG.
We think this is important because with the movie approaching its release date, it's possible that the forum will soon have an influx of younger members, and we want this to be a welcoming and comfortable space for them.
We don’t know what the landscape of the forum is going to look like in the weeks and months to come. Because of this, keep in mind that these rules are subject to change as we see how they work in practice. If this isn’t a system that works well, we’re open to finding another - but we think this is a good place to start. Please remember that we're not a faceless monolith of nameless staff members - you know us, and we're open to feedback.
For now, here are some specifics:
What can be posted in the main writing subforum?
These guidelines are based on the official guidelines for a PG rating from the BBFC, with modifications we felt suited writing as opposed to film, as well as this specific setting.
- Discrimination: Discriminatory language or behaviour is unlikely to be acceptable unless clearly disapproved of, or in an educational or historical context.
- Drugs: Drug use can be mentioned or vaguely depicted. It shouldn’t be a central theme.
- Language: Please keep bad language mild and relatively infrequent. Language that appears in the Artemis Fowl books is generally acceptable.
- Sex: Sexual activity may be implied, but should be discreet and infrequent.
- Violence, Dangerous Behavior, Threat, Horror: Canon-typical situations are acceptable. Violence against minorities is a special case, as covered in the Discrimination section.
What are the limits of the new writing subforum?
- Discrimination: Discrimination against minority groups may be included as something characters experience broadly or specifically, but should not be gratuitous, glorified, or framed as correct. Bear in mind that the guidelines for violence and language apply.
- Drugs: Recreational drug use may be depicted as long as it doesn’t include descriptions that might be instructional. Legal substances will generally be held to looser standards.
- Language: If the built-in censors catch a word, please don’t try to get around it. Real-world slurs are not okay.
- Sex: Sex may be referenced or briefly described. Explicit descriptions should live somewhere else. Bear in mind that the language guidelines apply.
- Violence: There may be moderate references to violence but it should not describe explicit detail. There should be no emphasis on extreme injuries or gratuitous descriptions of blood. Violence must match the context, however, must take into account the rules on discrimination.
What about already posted works?
Unless a piece is very explicit, we’re leaving all existing work on the board. If something you’ve written is an exception (though we expect very few will be), we’ll let you know via PM and work something out together.
Already-posted pieces that have a rating over PG/12 will be moved to the new subforum over the course of the next few weeks.
We hope you'll bear with us to see if this is a good system, and please do let us know if you have concerns or suggestions. Happy writing