#11 - Respect? From Artemis?

An Artemis Fowl game, open for anyone to join in. Read the stickied thread for details.
MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Tue 13th Feb 2007

"Well, young man, have you found anyone worthy of your respect?"

"Yes," he said. "I believe I have."

So it's true that Artemis definitely respects some people, but who? The task this week is to think of someone from history, that Artemis would respect. (No-one from the Fowl universe ^_^ ), and remember that Artemis has already said he respects Einstein and Archimedes, so don't use those names. :P

Credit for the idea goes to BlackOpal ^_^ (As if you really need another point in the scores... :P )

Athena
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Athena » Tue 13th Feb 2007

This ones easy for me: Ada Byron

--

Explaination on why: She played a huge roll in desigining the first computer program in the mid 1800s! She made a prediction on what it would be like and what the 'calculating engine' would do. It was right and her plans greatly resemble the modern computer! I think artemis would respect her not only for her inteligence but because she showed how capible women are of making great acheivements especialy important at times like that when women where thoughts so little of!

--

anyways..
Sherlock Holmes is mine MINE! The computer or sewing machine or anybody who tries to take him will pay. Nah! Don't even think about it. I'm watching you, I'm watching you *beady eyes*

"Eddie Burger's Bum, Yum yum yum!"

~Lillie Gmail conversation last monday.

(I LOVE YOU LILLIEDOODLES!)

Yes I have peach children, you got a problem with that huh? They are about 2 weeks old now and they came from the grocery store, I even ate the peach part myself! They have names also, Lillie, Jayd, and Greggie now bug off! They are my babies and I love them all (but Greggie gets watered first ;) )

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Wed 14th Feb 2007

Could you give an explanation as well? Why would Artemis in particular respect the person? (For people like me, who don't know who that is, and also so that I have something to judge on. ^_^ )

Hanyou Kitty
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Hanyou Kitty » Wed 14th Feb 2007

Immedietly, I thought of a Roman Emperor. But who...?
Caligula looked promising...untill I found out he had appointed his horse as senator. Alexander the Great (Not an emeror, I know) was to obvious. Finaly, I decided on one of my fathers favorite Emperors: Diocletian.
In the 21 years he reigned as emperor, he expended the Roman army my over 50 000 soldiers, split the empire among 4 men (to more easily control it). He would actually sit on a throne, was not to be seen in public, and, if an audience were required, he had elaborate cerimonies in which the visitor would be required to lie on the ground and never look at him. Arty would have enjoyed that kind of power, though Diocletian didn't do it out of vanity. That sort of thing was common among emperors. To quote Wikipedia, he "fundementally changed the stucture of imperial govornment and helped stabilize the empire economicly and militarily, enabling it to remain essentially incact for another hundred years."
He retired to a little island in the Adriactic sea to grow cabbages.
Here's his wiki article - <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocletian' target='_blank'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocletian</a>
Yes their is going to be a sixth one. There was anyway, but he's writing extra fast with a gun on his neck. I wonder who is doing that? *CoughHanyouKittyCough*" -minervaparzadio
I'm reading Dracula, I'm listening to Shi-Kuretto Karuma Serenade (Not that you care, lol)

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Wed 14th Feb 2007

Well, there is one person in history who I think Artemis would have respected.

Winston Churchill

He was an amazing Politician, and accomplished so much in his life time. He was not a man of science, and I don't think Artemis would respect a man of science as much, because he can manage everything that they've done, only extreme scientists like Einstein can gain his respect. No, Winston Churchill was a politician, the best there ever was. He lived an amazing life, he was captured during the Boer War, and escaped! He lead Britain through World War Two, he was the only person to out smart Hitler. Leading up to the war everybody thought that Hitler was a good man, just doing things for his country. They Appeased him. Churchill saw right through the act and tried to tell the World not to do as Hitler said, but nobody listened. An unappreciated genius. When the war sprung out, Winston Churchill said that they'd win it through "Blood, sweat and tears" doing what ever it took. He easily out witted Hitler with his suprise "Operation Overlord" and brought victory on his people.
After the war, Churchill reconized the "iron curtain" dividing Communist and Non-communist countries, and tried to bring it down. He wrote books on philosiphy and social problems, hitting dead on the defects in their society. He won the Noble Prize in literature. His mind was truely unique.

Artemis wouldn't respect somebody like him, unless they were muchmuch better. He would respect somebody who has views he can't see, views he doesn't understand, but effective views that can change the world. Winston Churchill sees the way Artemis never could, as Artemis can do science the way Churchill wouldn't be able to. They'd be frighteningly powerful allies. Artemis could learn from the former Prime Minister of Britain, and that is what he'd look for in a man to respect.

Edit: (I'll probably be editing this a lot) Winston Churchil was always witty and clever with his insults and responses, that is something Artemis can relate to.

Edit: (again) Winston Churchil was the one who came up with the idea to radio Germany and say there was terrible weather in Britain, when really there wasn't. It gave them more time to prepare, so they were ready for the German airforce when they came and Britain won the Battle of Britain. An Artemis worthy scheme.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Wed 14th Feb 2007

Giorgio Armani

Link: <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_Armani' target='_blank'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_Armani</a>

Duh, it's the designer and maker of the Armani brand himself! Arty would love him, since thanks to him, there are comfy suits everywhere for him to wear. Maybe he'd buy the material or something, then go get it home tailored... :unsure:

Or...

Hans Wilsdorf
A German guy, founder of the Rolex brand watches! I don't remember what brand Artemis wears as a watch...but this is the most expensive brand I could think of... :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net

LEP Officer Bud Sparx
Troll

Post by LEP Officer Bud Sparx » Thu 15th Feb 2007

I think a psychologist like Freud or someone. i only know one famous Psychologist so I'll go with him. i couldnt be bothered looking for any others over da net. the reason im going with Freud is because Artemis Fowl wants to be a psychologist. i kinda figure he might respect one who was good at his work.
Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums

I like shiny things

"...And mortal folk should all beware,who brave the longest night,
Of wickedness and trickedness--of fell, unseelie wight."
-The Lady of The Sorrows, by Cecilia Dart-Thornton

"On my word
I want you,
And it will be so
While I have life."
-The Battle of Evernight, by Cecilia Dart-Thornton

"Buck did not read the newspapers, or he would have known that trouble was brewing..."
-The Call of The Wild, by Jack London

"Tough titty, said the kitty, 'cause the milk tastes good."
-Jack Black, WORLDS GREATEST ROCKER!!!

"Play the best song in the world, or I'll eat your soul."
-the Demon from Tribute, by Tenacious D

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 15th Feb 2007

LEP Officer Bud Sparx wrote: I think a psychologist like Freud or someone. i only know one famous Psychologist so I'll go with him. i couldnt be bothered looking for any others over da net. the reason im going with Freud is because Artemis Fowl wants to be a psychologist. i kinda figure he might respect one who was good at his work.

I dunno, I think he'd respect Maslow more, because many of Freud's theories are discredited today. Plus, Freud's theories are kind of not very Artemisish.
Though a pshychologist is a wonderful idea! Wish I had thought of it myself ;D
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

Lufgif
Centaur Genius

Post by Lufgif » Thu 15th Feb 2007

I've noticed that Opal proposes challenges that she already has perfect answers to. :ph43r:

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Fri 16th Feb 2007

Haha. But remember that in the Artemis Fowl Files it says in the interview with Artemis that he'd want to be a psycologist and then he goes on saying that he'd be 'putting right some of the mistakes made by misters Freud and Jung'.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net

Yonder
Troll

Post by Yonder » Mon 19th Feb 2007

I'd have to say:

Thales, the first Greek Philosopher.
He urged people to try and explain natural events by referring them to other natural events instead of supernatural causes. His searching for natural explanations for phenomena launched the beginnings of Western Science.
This was roughly in the sixth century BC
I don't have a spiffy signature. D<

Soulcatcher
LEP Recruit

Post by Soulcatcher » Mon 19th Feb 2007

Here's what I think:

Musashi Miyamoto

Miyamoto Musashi (c. 1584-June 13 (Japanese calendar May 19), 1645), prior to adulthood known simply as Takezo Shinmen, as Miyamoto Bennosuke or Miyamoto Musana, was a famous Japanese swordsman. He is believed to have been one of the most skilled swordsmen in history. Musashi, as he is often simply known, became legendary through his outstanding swordsmanship in numerous duels, even from a very young age. He is the founder of the Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu, or Niten Ryu style of swordsmanship and wrote Go Rin No Sho, The Book of Five Rings, a book on strategy, tactics, and philosophy that is still studied today.

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Thu 1st Mar 2007

I just can't keep up with this thing. Maybe we should make it every 2 weeks? XD

Anyways, the winners:

1st - BlackOpal - The paragraph on the type of person Artemis would respect was brilliant, and easily won you this challenge! Great work. :D

2nd - The III Prodigy - Haha - Without a doubt. Short of creating his own fashion line, Artemis will always have to rely on those 2. XD

3rd - Hanyou Kitty - I loved your logic in choosing which emperor, choosing a great administrator and power-lover, instead of a warrior. ^_^

LEP Officer - Hehe - He might argue with Freud alot. I think he'd like that. XD

Yonder - Very good idea. Artemis would have nothing bad to say about him. XD

Soulcatcher - lol - Great person, but probably someone Butler would respect, more so than Artemis ;)

no. 1
Dwarf Thief

Post by no. 1 » Fri 2nd Mar 2007

:blink: I missed the challenge?! Shit! I mean, oh my! Damn HSC, I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Fri 2nd Mar 2007

lol - Don't worry. There will be another soon. :P

And I'll force you to enter this time :evil: